Lets have some fun. Here are some honey facts that I’m sure you’ll enjoy.
1. Honey does not spoil and does not need refrigeration as long as it is in a sealed container. That’s right. You could leave honey unrefrigerated in a cupboard for hundreds of years, and you could come back and it would be okay to use.
2. Honey has a lower glycemic index than sugar. Hurray!! This means it doesn’t raise blood sugar levels as quickly, and so helps to fight diabetes and weight gain.
3. It takes about 2 million flowers for bees to make one pound of honey.
4. A bee will produce only about one twelve of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime. Unbelievable! So, don’t waste any honey. Every drop is precious.
5. Honeybees have two stomachs.
6. Honey was so valuable it was used as currency in medieval times.
7. Honey produces hydrogen peroxide when it comes in contact with skin. This is one reason why it is excellent for skin problems and bacteria.
8. Honey kills bateria and fungi by drawing water from their cells, thereby causing dehydration. Another amazing characteristic that bolters honey’s healing properties.
Have you ever eaten raw honey straight from the beehive? It is so good. Besides being a delightful sensory experience, raw honey has all of the beneficial qualities intact - active, living enzymes, vitamins, minerals, pollen, and a host of other beneficial substances....read more
If you are going to go through the effort to purchase honey, why not buy the absolute best for your money. But where do you buy it? From the supermarket, the farmers market or your local beekeeper? If you buy it from the supermarket, how do you know if it's really...read more
It has been advised that honey is not safe for babies. Have you ever heard this before? Why can't babies have honey? If you're a parent to a sweet little one, the following information is very important and should be considered before you feed your infant honey. I...read more
Has this ever happened to you? You reach for your honey jar and notice that there are "things" forming in it! It is thick and cloudy and your honey isn't as fluid as it once was. What happened to your honey? Your honey has crystallized. But you may be asking, "Why...read more
There has been an ongoing dilemma about honey. When you buy a jar, is it the real thing or has it been diluted with sugar, corn syrup or other additives? There was no way to tell by reading the label. But recently the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said in new...read more
Many of us have used honey in food and skin care preparations, but not so much when it comes to beeswax. For years I never knew what beeswax was or how it was used. But, I'm so glad I learned about this marvel of nature and the many things you can do with this gift....read more
Honey has been called "the gift of the gods" and "nature's golden medicine", and for good reason. Honey has been around for thousands of years and has been highly esteemed for its taste, its medicinal qualities, and its ability to make us beautiful - both inside and...read more
An amazing fact about honey is that it doesn't spoil if stored properly. It contains unique properties that prevent bacteria from growing in it. Honey has a high acidic level and a low water content, a perfect combination that prevents bacteria from spoiling it....read more
I received this question from one of our readers: “Dear Bev: I am a diabetic. What are the effects of honey and cinnamon on diabetes? Can people with diabetes eat honey?” *********************** Most of you now know the amazing benefits of honey. But diabetics...read more
Do you want to purchase a jar, but don't really know how to buy honey? Do you know if you are purchasing the real thing? More and more people are scratching their heads as they read honey labels. It can be very confusing indeed. With the reports of fake honey in...read more