Sore throat remedies are pure gold to the person who can’t swallow or eliminate this condition.
If you are suffering from one, I feel for you because all of us have had one at one time or another, and it makes you feel lousy. Sadly, it’s part of life. But how do we get a sore throat in the first place? Is it from a bug, a chill, or a virus? And what is the best cure for a sore throat? How do you get rid of a sore throat quickly? Well, here are the facts.
A sore throat can be caused by a number of things – a virus, bacteria, sinus drainage, allergies, muscle strain, regularly breathing through the mouth, or even certain medications, such as antibiotics.
If your sore throat is caused by a virus (such as the common cold) or causes other than bacteria, there is much you can do right at home to get rid of it quickly.
Sore Throat Remedies – Honey is the first thing you should reach for when you have a sore throat. Why is this? Well, honey is proven to have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Also, due to the consistency of honey, it is very soothing for sore throats, coughs, and bronchial ailments. It has been used for centuries by Greeks, Italians, and Hungarians. So honey for sore throats is not a new concept. The best one to reach for is raw honey (found here).
The second thing to reach for is plain old salt. Salt also has been used for centuries in medicine as a preservative and healing agent. Used with the honey, you have a powerful tool to get rid of that soreness easily, and it is an inexpensive sore throat remedy. Here’s what you do.
1. Gargle with the salt in warm water first to reduce swelling and discomfort, then…
2. Mix one tablespoon of honey with very warm water and sip on this mixture. Not only will it soothe your throat, but it will also help to coat your throat and fight certain bacteria that may be lurking. Also, look at the end of this post for an excellent remedy “in a cup” to relieve and even prevent sore throats in the first place. I like to drink this delicious, spicy drink when I am cold, in the winter months, or even if I feel like I’m coming down with a cold. It is easy and will have you feeling like your old self in no time at all, and it will help you get rid of a sore throat if you have one already.
3. Although it may be uncomfortable because of the soreness, drink plenty of liquids to keep yourself hydrated and keep your throat moist.
4. A few times per day, try eating or sucking on ice pops or another cold confection to help soothe the throat to aid in the eliminating of the soreness.
5. Another thing I’ve found that tops the sore throat remedies list and works wonders are zinc lozenges. These little fellows are excellent. If you are caring for little ones, make sure they are old enough to handle hard items in the mouth to avoid choking.
6. Even though it seems obvious, it bears mentioning that you should get plenty of quality rest. Rest is important so that your body can heal and fight off that infection and soreness.
If you have a sore throat that lasts for more than a couple of days, or if you experience fever and other symptoms along with a sore throat, you may need to see your doctor. Okay, here’s the sore throat remedy I promised. If you love to use a tea for a sore throat, you’re going to just love this. You will find yourself using this one many times throughout the year. Enjoy in good health!!
Spiced Honey “Tea”
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together in a cup and mix with hot water. Sip on this delicious drink as you experience renewed energy and a soothing of your throat and mouth. It is especially beneficial right before bedtime.
What other sore throat remedies have you tried? Do you use honey for sore throats in your family? Do you like it? More importantly, did it work? How do you get rid of a sore throat in your household? And, what is the best cure for a sore throat, in your opinion? Leave a reply below.