There are few things as enviable as a dewy, glowing skin complexion.
But is it only for those with good genes, good doctors or good wallets? Is there a secret to how to make skin glow?
Well, the good news is that even if you’ve had skin problems in the past and don’t have tons of money to spend on “lotions and potions”, glowing skin is still possible for you. How so?
Well, first of all, let’s see what causes the skin to look healthy and glowing in the first place, and then we can outline a plan so you can achieve great results.
YOUR SKIN IS A WINDOW. . . .
to your health, or what’s going inside of you -both emotionally and physically. When you’re stressed out, you may get skin breakouts, if you eat or drink the wrong things constantly, your skin may become dull or you may have blemishes. And what happens if you don’t get enough rest – bags or black circles under the eyes. Certain habits (like smoking) can destroy our skin’s ability to look healthy and youthful. Even certain medications can take its toll on our skin.
So in order to achieve great looking skin, you must think about what you are doing for your health. If you have bad habits, work hard on getting rid of them. If you are stressed out or have emotional things going on, find the reason(s) why, and try to resolve it. Your skin will thank you. Ever wonder why most people look fantastic when returning from vacation? People ask the vacationer if he or she changed their skincare or makeup or had something done, right? It’s because people tend to relax, have a great time, and do the things they love on vacation – therefore they are more relaxed and happy – and it is reflected in their skin!
A SMILE IS WORTH…..
Actually, you can’t put a price tag on inner contentment. Have you noticed that when a person is in love they have that “glow”? It’s a known fact that if you have inner happiness, your skin will respond. A smile as a result of happiness can really light up your face. It’s a simple fact that people who smile a lot are perceived as more attractive as those who don’t. Plus, when you smile it does positive things to your body and overall health.
DRINK YOUR WAY TO HEALTHY SKIN
I know you’ve heard it said over and over again, but it is worth mentioning again – in order to have glowing skin, you must drink a good amount of water every day. There’s nothing secret about this – water helps your skin to stay hydrated and it aids your body in getting rid of toxins. When toxins are removed, your skin will reward you by becoming more healthy in the way of dewy, glowing skin. So what can you do if you hate drinking water or haven’t been in the habit?
- If you hate drinking water, then make it a pleasurable experience. Try adding a citrus juice like lemons or orange juice or any juice you like (just a splash) along with a little honey.
- Keep water with you. If you work at the computer, have a large glass on your desk, if you are away from home, be sure to bring your (non-plastic) water bottle with you.
- Set your watch or set a periodic computer reminder for each hour, so that you don’t forget to drink water.
- Don’t overdose on water – that wouldn’t be good, but a good way to make sure you are getting adequate water is to drink when you first get up, a glass between each meal and with each meal.
EXERCISE YOUR WAY TO GLOWING HEALTHY SKIN
This tip is very important. In order to have glowing skin, you must get moving. Exercise is one of the single most important things you can do for your skin and overall health as well. There’s no getting around it – you must exercise in order to have healthy skin.
When you exercise, it causes you to sweat and sweating removes toxins from your skin – toxins that can clog your pores and produce blemishes, black heads and pimples.
Exercise also causes more oxygen and blood flow to the skin. This allows more nutrients to get to the skin and that will help your skin to glow. Also, this will enhance the skin care products on the surface of the skin.
WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR SKIN?
If you use crappy products on your skin, have poor cleansing and maintenance routines, or abuse your skin, then your skin will fight back. How? In the form of breakouts, rashes, dullness, and generally unattractive skin. So you need to:
- Make sure you take makeup off every night and cleanse and moisture your face so it can breathe without distraction as you sleep and rejuvenate.
- Don’t pick at your face, use greasy hair products that lay on the face all day, and don’t take up bad habits (smoking, over indulgence in alcohol).
Let’s stop here for a minute and let me ask you – what products are you using on your skin? If you are using products that contain loads of chemicals, those chemicals will be absorbed into your body, just as if you’ve eaten them. And that can cause harm. Many of those ingredients on your skincare labels (you know, the ones you can’t possibly enunciate) wreck havoc on your skin. So, read labels and try to go for simple, pure ingredients. Or better yet, make your own. It is cheaper and healthier for you.
Below are a few excellent recipes for your skin that will give you a glow right away while you wait for your body to respond to the above suggestions. These simple ingredients have been used for centuries by beautiful women over the ages.
REFRESHING CUCUMBER & YOGURT MASK
Puree 1/3 of a cucumber and 1 tablespoon of yogurt in a blender. Apply it on a clean face. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Follow up with a moisturizer.
HONEY & YOGURT MASK
Mix together 1 tablespoon of honey (raw or manuka for best results) and 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt. If your skin is oily, add a few drops of lemon juice. Leave it on for 10 – 15 minutes and then wash off with warm, then cold water. Follow up with a moisturizer.
HONEY & SALT SCRUB
Mix together 1 tablespoon of honey (raw or manuka for best results), 1 teaspoon of sea salt and few drops of coconut or olive oil. Gently massage on your skin and leave on for 10 minutes and then wash off with warm, then cold water. You will be amazed how great your skin looks and feels. Follow up with a moisturizer.
TURMERIC HONEY GLOWER
Mix together 2 tablespoons Gram flour (also called chickpea flour or besan). If unavailable then use oatmeal flour, and 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric (found here). Slowly add some milk and honey until you have a paste that is not runny. Apply to clean face and neck and leave on for 10 – 15 minutes. Wash off with warm then cold water. Your skin should have a clear, nice glow. Follow up with moisturizer.
IF I ONLY HAD ONE INGREDIENT TO USE ON MY FACE, IT WOULD DEFINITELY BE HONEY.
Honey is amazing. It has so many qualities that are excellent for glowing skin. It is antibacterial, antifungal, draws moisture to your skin, is a natural antioxidant and it promotes wound healing. Wow!! It does so many wonderful things.
If you took a jar of honey, what do you see? Doesn’t it look like sunshine? Isn’t it just glowing? No wonder that with regular use, honey can have your skin glowing, too. Many people use honey, especially manuka honey, to wash their face. They even add honey to their other skincare products to up the benefits to their skin.
HOW TO GET GLOWING SKIN – LITTLE SECRETS
- Before you leave your home and right after you do your makeup, take a couple of ice cubes and put them in a cloth. Place them on your cheeks for a couple of minutes and voila – your skin will appear dewy and refreshed.
- Take very weak green tea, add a couple of drops of lemon juice and put it in a small spritzer bottle. Refrigerate and mist lightly on your face or over your makeup. It will add a dewiness to your appearance, and it is very refreshing.
- Do what the stars do – treat yourself to regular spa treatments. Here is where you’ll get a skin analysis and wonderful pampering. Can’t afford it? Then treat yourself occasionally because it will really do wonders for your skin and lift your mood. You can dump the body massages and other treatments and opt for just the facial. It is very reasonable and so much fun to be pampered for a day.
- If you use makeup, opt for illuminating tints, bronzers, and creams. The illuminators contained in these products will instantly give you a dewy, glowy complexion.
So, do you know how to make skin glow? By incorporating some of the above suggestions, you will be well on your way to skin that is not only healthy but is beautiful as well.
Do you have tips on how to get glowing skin? Leave a comment 🙂